Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Alternative Future of Music Distribution

I started working in the Indie-pendent Music Industry in 1999 by helping artists replicate their cds and create their final packages. I had so much enjoyment and sense of accomplishment watching their projects come to fruition. The more that I helped indie-pendent artists complete their projects the more I wanted to help them become successful in their final endeavors with their music.

Time and time again, I saw artists' heartbroken by the promises made from Distribution companies. I can only imagine that most of the cds of the artists that I worked with ended up in their closet as a dead end or just to be given out to friends or relatives, or worse end up in a thrift store. All their hard work and dreams getting stepped on. This frustrated me so much that I decided that I had to make it my mission to figure out a way that these artists would be able to get their music out to the public, to their customers to their fans without having to worry about the the dreaded "Returns" that always seem to accompany the normal distribution channels. (I'm sure their are some good indie-pendent distributors out there), but I still dislike the policy of Returns back to the artist for unsold merchandise.

In the 2000, I set out to figure out my own way to help indie-pendent artists. By 2004 I had come up with LHReturnables, Inc. Returnables is an on-line and in-brick and mortar store Music Distribution Company that RENTS and Sells Your CDS. The beauty about this concept is that an artist can make money over and over again off the same cd. Even if the cd is sold, the customer or fan can still bring the cd back in good condition, and it goes back out for Rent or Sale. All the while the artist is making money. In this program the artist makes money for the Lifetime of the CD. With our company RETURNS are exactly what we want so that we can keep renting and selling and helping each indie-pendent artist make money and maybe a living off their music. Our motto is "Where Your Return Is Always Welcome"!

I understand that many artists may feel uncomfortable about "bootlegging", but if this is truly the case their are measures we can take to handle this. I don't feel that this will be an overwhelming problem though.

As this is a new company and concept, I'm trying to reach as many indie-pendent artists as I can to participate in this alternative form of Music Distribution. I do think you will see that it has many benefits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home